VCkidsFYI: Commit to safely disposing of your prescription drugs. Get the facts on Rx and OTC drug abuse
"When you look at the staggering statistics in terms of lives lost, productivity impacted, costs to communities, but most importantly, cost to families from this epidemic of opioids abuse - it has to be something that is right up there at the top of our radar screen.”
- President Obama
How Are Prescription Drugs Abused?
- Taking someone else’s medication that has been prescribed for somebody else.
- Taking a drug in a way other than prescribed.
- Taking a medication to get high.
> Read more at DrugFacts: Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medications, National Institute on Drug Abuse, November 2015
What You Can Do
- Safely dispose your prescription drugs. See local disposal bin locations.
- Learn the facts on Rx drug abuse.
- Teach your kids that Rx drugs are not safe to abuse.
- Know the signs of drug use.
- Monitor and secure medications.
- Attend your local Take-Back day events.
- Talk about it early and often.
> Download Rx Disposal Handout
VCkidsFYI PROVIDES FREE TEXT MESSAGES TO PARENTS WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION ABOUT TEENS, DRUGS & ALCOHOL. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE.
If you're concerned about signs of drug use with your child, call (805) 981-9200 to talk with a professional at Ventura County Behavioral Health, Alcohol & Drug Programs, Youth Services. Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.