National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit 2016
"This is a truly non-partisan issue, as it takes all of us working together to curb the deadly tide of drug abuse in America and inspire real change, from the Commander-in-Chief to local police chiefs and treatment professionals, and everyone in between.”
- Congressman Hal Rogers, co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on Prescription Drug Abuse
The National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit is the largest national collaboration of professionals from local, state and federal agencies, business, academia, clinicians, treatment providers, counselors, educators, state and national leaders, and advocates impacted by Rx drug abuse and heroin use. President Barack Obama announced new initiatives and thanked the efforts of Operation UNITE during a panel discussion at the National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit in Atlanta March 29, 2016.
- More than 1,900 of the nation’s top researchers, law enforcement officials, advocates and policymakers.
- During those 67 hours, the Summit's "Life Counts Clock" revealed an estimated 201 deaths due to opioid-related overdoses – adding urgency to the need to find a comprehensive, multi-faceted solution.
- 49 states, the District of Columbia, two U.S. Territories (Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) and three countries in addition to the United States (Canada, Taiwan and Kenya).
> Read more about the Rx Summit at http://nationalrxdrugabusesummit.org/
Rx & Heroin Abuse: Ventura County RESPONDS
Ventura County Prescription Drug Abuse Workgroup
A collaborative prevention effort takes on the increasing problems of prescription drug addiction and overdose in innovative ways, uniting law enforcement, educators, health care professionals, County agencies and community members. Agency representatives share local data about the effects of prescription drug and heroin abuse on systems – and on affected individuals and families. Five specific change areas are targeted to reduce prescription drug misuse, heroin abuse and overdose.
Rx Summit Media Coverage
- 5th Annual National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit Concludes with Record Attendance, 3/31/16
- Rogers Leads Congressional Forum at 5th National Rx Drug Abuse and Heroin Summit, 3/30/16
- National leaders outline strategies to combat drug abuse through enforcement, research, prevention, 3/30/16
- President announces new initiatives; thanks, praises work of UNITE at Summit, 3/29/16
- Obama Steps Up U.S. Effort to Fight Abuse of Heroin and Painkillers, New York Times, 3/29/16
- Obama: Addiction is a preventable disease, CNN, 3/29/16
- President Obama Is Taking More Steps to Address the Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Epidemic, 3/29/16
- Obama anti-heroin strategy shifts focus to treatment from arrests, Washington Post, 3/29/16
- Remarks by the President in Panel Discussion at the National Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Summit, 3/29/16
- Fact Sheet: Obama Administration Announces Additional Actions to Address the Prescription Opioid Abuse and Heroin Epidemic, 3/28/16